Vacancies Available - Disability Reference Group
There are upcoming vacancies available on the ACT Disability Reference Group for persons with disability, those with experience as a carer of a person with disability, or with experience of the disability services sector. Only ACT residents or those with strong connections to the ACT need apply.
People with disability from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse background, men with disability and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disability are encouraged to apply.
What is the ACT Disability Reference Group?
The ACT Disability Reference Group (DRG) is an advisory council that works to ensure the ACT Government is aware of issues affecting people with disability in the ACT. The DRG also advises the ACT Government on ways in which the ACT can be a more inclusive and accessible community for people with disability. Members of the DRG draw on their own experience and their engagement with people with disability to provide that advice.
The work of the DRG is underpinned by the policy outcome areas of the National Disability Strategy, which provides the framework for governments to engage people with disability in the development of policies, programs and initiatives that affect them.
For more information on the DRG, go to: https://www.communityservices.act.gov.au/disability_act/disability-reference-group
Members are expected to actively and constructively participate in meeting discussions, community consultations and work projects; and to maintain links with the community.
The DRG meets six times per year for two-hours per meeting. On occasion, DRG members will be requested to attend out-of-session forums and workshops. Remuneration will be provided for meetings and some out-of-session engagements.
You can apply in four different ways
- Write an application of no more than two pages answering the questions below and upload it to the ACT Diversity Register;
- Send your CV and responses to the questions below directly to the Office for Disability using the contact details provided;
- Phone or email the Office for Disability and make a time to meet with a member of the team to respond to the questions face-to-face; or
- Make a short video about yourself and email it (or a link to the video) to the Office for Disability.
Please note that should you be successful you will need to be available for a half day orientation session during the week commencing 28 June 2021 and a DRG meeting on 13 July.
If you require reasonable adjustments to be made to enable you to participate in this process, please contact the Office for Disability.
Office for Disability Contact Details
Phone: 6207 1086
Please address these questions in your response:
1. Why do you want to be on the ACT Disability Reference Group?
2. What knowledge can you bring to the ACT Disability Reference Group?
3. What experience do you have in promoting the inclusion of people with disability?
Please indicate if you are also interested in the role of Chair, or Deputy Chair.
Applications close Monday 7 May 2021.
See Dougie Herd, Chair of the Disability Reference Group, talk about the work of the Disability Reference Group and the recruitment process on Youtube: